* Don’t forget — today, Friday, March 25th! Remember the Triangle Fire events. 11 a.m. music & procession; 12 noon speakers & ceremony. 1 block from Park! (See previous post: Triangle Fire 100th Anniversary Commemoration.)
* Saturday, March 26th – Hands Across Prospect Park – Save New York City’s Geese
Alert from Park Slope Neighbors:
This Saturday, March 26th, at 12:30 p.m., local activists will join advocacy group Friends of Animals, State Senator Eric Adams, City Council Member Letitia James, and concerned
Brooklyn residents New Yorkers to link hands around the lake in Prospect Park to demonstrate for the protection of the park’s resident Canada geese.
Last year, the USDA rounded up and
euthanized (WSP Blog correction) killed 368 geese that had been living in Prospect Park, setting off a raft of protests. The culling was ostensibly done to prevent geese from colliding with airplanes, but the park’s geese were outside the protective zone that the FAA had established.
Friends of Animals is urging people to contact Mayor Bloomberg to state opposition to the culling of geese ** WSP Blog: throughout the city; over 1600 resident geese were killed last year mostly in parks throughout the five boroughs.
– Call the Mayor’s office at 311.
– Fax a message: 212-788-8123.
– Send an email to the Mayor.
Location: Vanderbilt Street and Prospect Park Southwest, Prospect Park, Brooklyn. Map of location here.
* See previous WSP Blog post, The Killing of the Prospect Park Geese